Dachshund dogs are one of the most uniquely shaped dogs.
They have a long body, short stumpy legs and large chest so it can be difficult to find the Best Dachshund Harness which fits their shape.
There are many benefits to using a harness with a dog (especially a breed of this size and shape): it reduces the strain on their neck, helps with training, and keeps them warm in cool climates.
Many people are choosing to use harnesses over a collar, and the choices of Dachshund harnesses available are expanding rapidly, so how do you know which one to choose?
We have tried and tested five of the best harnesses for Dachshunds, so whether you are looking for a lightweight all-weather harness, or a warmer one for cold weather, keep on reading.
Table of Contents
Types of Harnesses for Dachshunds
There are a few different types of harnesses available for your puppy, your choice will ultimately come down to personal preference for both you and your dog.
The two most popular styles of harness are the step-in and overhead:
- The step-in harness requires your dog to step in legs first and it fastens at their back
- Overhead harnesses go over the dog’s neck and then fasten at the chest or back
Another important variant in harness, is the the leash attachment point (on their chest or back), some harness have dual attachment points.
Back clips are great for well trained dogs whereas a chest clip is better for a dog who pulls. Harnesses are also available in a few different fabrics including:
- Mesh which is breathable, inexpensive and great for warmer areas
- Nylon is typically inexpensive, durable and easy to clean
- Leather is the most expensive choice but the highest quality material
Choosing a Harness For Your Dachshund
When you choose a harness, you will want to bear in mind a few things: harness size, type, material and fit.
The size will depend on your specific dog.
Dachshunds come in three different sizes: standard, miniature and rabbit, however, only the standard and the miniature variations are available in the US.
Harnesses are usually sized based on a neck or chest measurement.
Here are the average sizes of each of the above variations, however it’s important to remember that your dog might be slightly smaller or bigger than the average so always measure them.
|Variation||Neck Size||Chest Size|
|Miniature||8 to 16 inches||12 to 14 inches|
|Standard||16 to 20 inches||14 to 19 inches|
As Dachshunds all have short legs, long bodies and wide-set chests so will need to choose a harness which is adjustable, especially around their chest, so you can get the right fit.
There are also plenty of Dachshund mixes, so if you have one of these, you will need to ensure that you choose the right sized harness based on actual size.
How to Fit a Dachshund Harness
Choosing the right size of harness for your canine is important:
- If you choose one that is too big, you run the risk of them being able to escape while you’re out on a walk
- If the harness is too small, it will rub on their skin and hurt them
Some harnesses require the size of your dog’s neck, whereas others will need their chest size. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to measure, because some do it differently than others.
When your harness arrives, the next step will be to get your puppy used to it so that you can put the harness on them.
Leave the harness on the floor for them to sniff and get used to do an hour or so, if they’re not too keen or aren’t paying any attention to it, you can throw treats towards it.
Once they are used to the shape and sight of it, you can get them used to wearing it. How you put it on will depend on the type of harness you choose.
With this styles, you will slip the neck section over their head, and then fasten any buckles or clips.
To get your puppy used to this, slip it over their head first and reward them with a treat. Do this a few times throughout the day before you fasten the harness.
Step in Harness
Encourage your dog to walk over the harness and treat your dog each time they do.
Once they are comfortable with this, you can pull the harness up and fasten the clips, make sure you immediately unfasten, and then reward for the first few attempts.
With either harness, once your dog is fastened in for the first time, try to distract them with a toy or treat to allow them to get used to the feel of the harness.
You can then gradually start to extend the amount of time they spend in it.
Should You Use a Dog Harness for Dachshund?
- Dachshunds are natural hunters and are quite likely to pull on their leash if they see a small animal. If they are wearing a harness, the pressure from pulling will be spread out over their whole chest, shoulder and back area, rather than just their neck.
- These small dogs have a number of possible diseases, and one of the more delicate parts of their body is their small trachea. If they pull suddenly while wearing a collar, this could cause damage to the trachea or the larynx.
- As well as protecting your dog from injury, a harness can also be used for training purposes.
- Whether you have a regular Dachshund, or the beautifully colored Dapple, a collar can be used for identification purposes.
- Due to their long body, they are prone to problems with their backs. The most common one is intervertebral disc herniation. Using a collar and a leash can result in back injury if your dog tries to shoot off and you need to pull them back.
The Verdict: Best Dachshund Harness
|Dachshund Harness||Our Rating||Price Range|
|Best Premium||Rabbitgoo Adjustable Dog Harness||$$||Best Value||Voyager Step-in||$|
A premium and fully adjustable Dachshund harness ()
- Comes with 4 fully adjustable straps to ensure a good fit
- Made from a breathable and durable mesh
- Extremely simple to fit and use
- You need to slide this harness over the dogs head and some won’t like this
The Rabbitgoo has a no pull design which works brilliantly as a training aid for your Dachshund puppy. It has two metal rings for the leash to be attached (one on the back and one on the chest).
- The chest clip is great for dogs who tend to pull, as it will pull the around when they pull instead of allowing them to carry on walking forwards.
- The back clip can be used for well trained dogs when out running or walking.
This harness is available in six popular colors and there are four adjustable straps which you can loosen or tighten to get the perfect fit.
You will need size small in this harness for your sausage dog.
A comfortable no-pull harness ()
- Quick and easy to put on
- Breathable and non-toxic mesh fabric
- Sustainably made from recycled materials
- The collar section can’t be adjusted
The EcoBark is an eco-friendly harness made from recycled and environmentally friendly materials, the straps are made from recycled water bottles and all of the materials are highly durable.
Because the harness is lightweight, making it perfect for long or short walks in the morning or evening, it doesn’t put unnecessary load on your Dachshund’s back.
It has anti-rub technology, with a specifically designed cover that stops any chaffing or rubbing against your dog’s legs.
The design is escape proof, if the correct sizing is chosen (most Dachshunds will need size small or medium in this harness), and it is available in ten different colors.
Step in mesh vest harness ()
- Can be used in any weather with a breathable mesh
- Extra safety features to ensure it doesn’t come loose
- The front leg holes are quite large
- The sizing is wrong so opt for one size smaller size than recommended
Made with a breathable and soft mesh material, the Voyager is a quality harness available in 16 different colors and patterns including army style and turquoise.
It has two reflective bands on the sides to ensure your pet is safe during evening or early morning walks and three different safety features including a hook and loop fastener, a buckle, and double D-rings.
This harness is simple to put on, your dog just needs to step into it, then you clip it at the back and attach their lead.
It can also be adjusted around their back to ensure a snug fit. Your Dachshund will likely need a small to medium in this harness, and if they are in between sizes, you should opt for the larger one.
Adjustable, sturdy yet comfortable harness ()
- Sturdy handle to help aid or control the canine
- Adjustable and comfortable padded neck and chest straps
- Reflective straps to ensure evening walks are safe
- Can only be put on over the dog’s head
- The adjustable straps can become loose over time
By using the chest metal D-ring, this harness helps to discourage pulling and it also has a second D-ring on the back for more relaxed walking or hiking.
Unlike other harnesses featured in this roundup, this one has the added benefit of a sturdy handle which allows you to control and help your pooch when necessary.
It is easy to fit this harness with quick snap buckles and a locking feature which ensures extra security while you’re out walking.
Made from a fast-drying breathable fabric, the straps can be adjusted to make sure you have the perfect fit for your Dachshund.
You will likely need to get the small size to fit your canine and it is available in six different colors including: black, pink, orange, blue, camo and red.
Lightweight and soft, durable harness ()
- Made out of high-quality breathable fabric
- Padded neck/shoulder area
- Adjustable at the belly strap
- Single latch on the front side (rather than the back)
The Puppia lightweight harness has an adjustable chest belt with a quick release buckle and the neck opening is padded to ensure plenty of comfort for your pup.
With buckles are made from a lightweight material this makes it perfect for hiking and long walks.
The harness is made from a breathable polyester material, which is also weatherproof and weather repellant.
This is a stylish harness, and each color variant is two tone, made with two complimentary colors. There are fourteen different choices available.
Your Dachshund will most likely need the medium size in this harness, and there is a matching leash available.
Just as important as it is to choose the best possible name for your Dachshund, it is also important that you choose the necessary and correct pieces of equipment for them.
Harnesses are an essential piece of equipment for your Dachshund, it will allow you to walk your dog without the risk of them hurting themselves and can also help you to train them.
Our favorite is the Rabbitgoo it is the perfect fit for this small, uniquely shaped dog.
Do you use a harness for your Dachshund puppy? If you’ve tried any of the harnesses on this list, which was your favorite?