Is your dog big and tough?
Maybe they are just very sweet, but you want to be a little ironic?
Whatever the case, we are here to present you with our best tough dnog names specifically picked to make your dog feel like the toughest pup on the block.
Choosing a dog’s name is one of the most important decisions which you will make in your furry friend’s life.
It will not only be a word that you hear every day, but it will also depict how people see your pooch.
Maybe your dog is a stocky and robust breed or they might be the opposite and you simply want to add a little “toughness” to their persona.
Whatever the case, we have chosen over 85 strong dog names chosen just for you.
These names are all based on tough characters and people throughout history and there are even some choices which just sound tough!
Take your pick from the list below…
Top 10 Best Tough Dog Names
- Ares – The Greek God of War… this one is a no brainer. Definitely one of the best tough dog names
- Croft – Named after Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series. Lara Croft is an intelligent, poised and athletic character who fights mummies, curses and explores ancient tombs. This name is perfect for a pup with a crazy amount of energy and who is both athletic and beautiful, perhaps a Husky?
- Diablo – Diablo means “devil” in Spanish. This name sounds cool and is easily one of the funniest tough dog names! Maybe one with a spicy Mexican attitude? This one could cleary suit a naughty, loving and active Chihuahua!
- Gunner – Due to the name, this is perfect for any gun dog breed plus it sounds tough! We think this would absolutely suit a German Shorthaired Pointer
- Hulk – The incredible Hulk of course! Let’s just hope your little canine doesn’t grow big, scary and green when he is in a bad mood…
- Jackie Chan – Jackie Chan is notorious for his martial arts skills. So much so that he stars in movies, TV shows, and has even become a producer and director. If “Jackie Chan” is a bit too long for your liking, then why not Jackie for short! We think this name will suit any pup who is skilled in agility
- Pac – As in Manny Pacquiao, a world famous professional boxer. Pacquiao has shown grace, respect and discipline throughout his career and is definitely one of the toughest boxing champions. This choice will easily toughen up any dog’s image
- Ronda – Another fighter! But this time a female one. Named after Ronda Rousey who is a professional American wrestler. Both a WWE and UFC champ “Rowdy” is cleary one of the tough dog names which is hard not to love
- Tank – This is guaranteed to toughen up any dog. We recommend this choice for your Staffy!
- Thanos – If you’re a Marvel fan then you will know Thanos as the toughest and most powerful villain! A perfect name for any mischievous always-up-to-no-good pup
- Tyson – As in Mike Tyson who was a professional American Boxer. This easily suits any tough canine who isn’t afraid of a fight. You could also try calling your dog “Ty” for short
Tough Dog Names List
- Admiral – An Admiral is one of the highest ranks in the Navy. Serving our country at such a high rank means you clearly have to be tough. We think this choice is perfect for a well-mannered, staunch, tough pup!
- Ali – Named after Muhammad Ali, an American professional boxer winning a total of 56 out of 61 fights, he was known as “The Greatest”. This option absolutely suits a tough dog
- Archie – We think this would toughen up any loveable Beagle
- Arnold – Named after Arnold Schwarzenegger of course!
- Arya – A fictional female lead character in Game of Thrones. We don’t want to give out any spoilers but it is safe to say that Arya was one tough chick! We think this is perfect for a tough female pooch
- Bear – We think this definitely suits the Newfoundland dog breed. These are large working dogs who reach up to 150lb and stand at up to 30″. They are also the cutest and chubbiest puppies who resemble a big and tough bear
- Bond – That’s right. Bond, James Bond. This 007 character is famous for being a secret agent while also being well-mannered with his black tie suits and martinis. This is perfect for a black and white furred friend who is also known for their brains
- Bruce – Have you ever met somebody called Bruce who isn’t tough? We think this one could toughen up any French Bulldog
- Brutus – After a Roman politician
- Buster – Cute but still sounding tough. We think this would perfectly suit your yellow Labrador puppy!
- Caesar – Named after Julius Caesar who was a Roman dictator. Did you know that the Mastiff breed caught Caesars eye? He was so impressed by this breed that he introduced them to Rome… therefore this moniker is very fitting for any Mastiff breed
- Capone – Named after Al Capone who was a famous American Gangster in the 1920-30s. He was the crime boss of the Chicago Outfit gang and it is safe to say that this is one of the most perfect tough dog names for any pup who likes to be the big boss
- Chaos – The name really says it all
- Chino – After an all men’s state prison in Orange County, California. Chino is one perfect strong dog name
- Chomp – We think this is perfect for a goofy-smiled yet robust companion
- Chuck Norris
- Cleopatra – (Cleo for short) was the last active ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom in Egypt. Renowned for both her beauty and intellect. She even led a fleet in a naval battle! We think this name is perfect for your pampered yet tough canine
- Clint Eastwood – Or why not, Clint Eastwoof
- Dana – Did you know in Hebrew, Dana means “God is my Judge”. This choice is perfect for a dog with a bit of sass and a hint of “I don’t care” attitude. Maybe a gorgeous and confident Shih Tzu?
- Darth Vader – Star Wars lover’s favorite antagonist: Darth Vader. This name is perfect for any black furred friend making it the perfect black dog name!
- Fifi – Okay, so this isn’t exactly tough but we find it a little funny and ironic so we had to throw this into the mix!
- Genghis – Named after Genghis Khan who was a Mongolian emperor that created one of the largest empires! This guy was easily tough so why not give your pup this moniker? Or perhaps you prefer Khan
- Goliath – Made for any stocky, robust and muscly dog breed! Any type of Bulldog would suit this name! Or even a Pitbull or Staffy!
- Hector – Coming from Greek Mythology, Hector was a Trojan prince who fought for the ancient city of Troy. Absolutely suitable for a tough pup!
- Hell – Let’s just hope he doesn’t break loose…
- Jaws – A name perfect for any tough teething puppy! Luckily it’s just a phase
- Leif – Lefi Ericson, a Viking explorer
- Lieutenant – A lieutenant is a commissioned officer in the military or police force. They aren’t the highest rank official but they are entitled to make decisions if their leaders are absent. We think this name suits a tough, loyal and intelligent breed! How about a German Shepherd? This breed is even famous for working within the military and police force
- Manny – Named after Manny Pacquiao
- Max – This name is based on a fictional character in the movie “Max”. Max was a Belgian Malinois who was a military service dog in Afghanistan. This pup is easily a celebrity among canines so why not name your pup after this hero?
- Medusa – Medusa is famous in Greek mythology for having venomous snakes in her hair. Anyone who looked at her face would instantly turn to stone! Medusa was tough and a little bit scary too. Regardless, she has a beautiful name which doubles as one of the greatest tough dog names too
- Nyx – A tough feminine choice for a tough female canine. Nyx is Greek Goddess of Night and the daughter of Chaos. Did you know that Nyx was so powerful that even Zeus was afraid of upsetting her? We think this name would be perfect for a Black German Shepherd
- Peliche – Used by the Peruvians to describe someone who is always looking to cause trouble and start fights. We had to include this little spicy name as it sounds cool and is amongst our favorite tough dog names
- Poison – Another tough dog sounding choice that we had to include, although we definitely don’t think dogs are poison to anyone
- Rocky – Named after Rocky Balboa, a famous character who was a professional boxer. You can’t get tougher than him! Plus, it’s one of the toughest dog names for your canine friend. Perhaps a tough yet loveable blue nosed Pitbull?
- Rogue – This choice suits any canine who isn’t necessarily the best at following rules all the time
- Sarah – Named after Sarah Connor, the female lead character in the Terminator series Sergeant
- Snape – A tough dog name perfect for any Harry Potter fan out there. We think this name suits a Groenendael variety of dog.
- Thor – An American marvel superhero. Thor is famous for carrying his hammer around which helps him use lightening as a power. Okay, so maybe your pup won’t ever have this ability but they carry a squeaky toy around right?
- Ursula – Named after a fictional character from Walt Disney’s the Little Mermaid. Ursula is clearly a tough girl seeing as she is the villainous sea witch in this plot
- Vlad – Named after Vlad III Dracula was an infamous ruler of Romania. The fictional character of “Count Dracula” who was a vampire was actually inspired by Vlad III Dracula due to his tough and somewhat evil reputation for cruelty
We hope you enjoyed our collection of 86 tough dog names and we hope you found our guide very helpful in choosing one which would perfectly suit your new canine family member.
It is essential to choose the perfect name for your puppy so we hope you have found one which suits their persona perfectly, or maybe just a name to spruce up their soft image!
A tough nickname can make even the smallest of dogs appear confident, strong and just that much tougher.
Which was your favorite? Do you think we left any important ones out? Please tell us below!