Yes, Maltese are good for first time owners. Maltese make good pets for first-time owners because they:
- Are easy to train. Maltese are smart dogs that learn fast if given treats for good behavior. They also enjoy learning new tricks.
- Are highly affectionate and playful. Maltese bond with their owners very quickly and enjoy playing and cuddling often.
- Get along with other pets. Maltese are generally peaceful and will play well with other dogs. However, due to their small size, you should first determine whether or not your other dogs will be good companions for your Maltese. It is easy for a Maltese to get injured if a large dog or a young child plays too roughly with your Maltese.
- Are good guard dogs. Although small in size, their natural inclination to bark makes them good guard dogs. If a stranger visits your home, they will bark and bark until you let your Maltese know not to be anxious about the visitor.
- Require less exercise than other dogs. Playing with your Maltese for 10 minutes a day is good enough for them. Other breeds need 30 to 60 minutes of strenuous exercise.