The things that are bad about a Maltese are that they:
- Get stressed easily: Maltese get stressed for a lot of reasons. They’ll get stressed from loud noises, being home alone for short periods of time, a decrease in time spent with owners and other family members, changes in schedules, and new family pets or members.
- Bark a lot: Maltese bark frequently without training. Due to their small size, their bark is their lone defense mechanism, so they bark when stressed, scared, frustrated, bored, and excited.
- Suffer badly from separation anxiety: If left alone for more than a few hours, Maltese start behaving badly and will chew things up and bark a lot.
- Need frequent grooming: You need to fully brush Maltese 2 to 3 times a week. In addition, you need to bathe them every week or two.
- Hard to housebreak: Maltese are hard to housebreak. Because Maltese hate cold and wet areas, you need a covered area outside for them to go to the bathroom. If you don’t have a covered area for them, they will urinate around the house.