Welcome to All Things Dogs’ A-Z list of the best German Shepherd Names with over 150 fun, unique and cute names for your German Shepherd Dog (GSD).
So you have decided to adopt or buy a German Shepherd Dog, one of your first tasks, as a pet-parent, will be to give him his name.
Much like choosing a name for your child, pet-parents can mull over dog names for what feels like an eternity!
When considering German Shepherd Names, you will want to think about your dog’s personality and temperament; you want a name that suits his demeanor and attitude toward life.
German Shepherds are loved for their confidence and courage.
Contents and Quick Navigation
German Shepherd Names
Whilst there are some unwritten rules of names for German Shepherd Dogs, like make sure you choose a name you won’t be embarrassed shouting across the dog park, or avoiding names which sound like common commands. Generally, with German Shepherd Names, anything goes.
Top 10 German Shepherd Names
A recent study found the most popular ten names for German Shepherd Dogs:
German Shepherd Dog Names
If you are looking for a name that is a little bit more unique, to match your dog’s personality, rather than the most popular German Shepherd Names, then try our list below:
Male German Shepherd Names
Looking for male German Shepherd Names that will be a perfect fit for this breeds’ courageousness, strength and intelligence? Any name on this list will be a perfect fit:
- Arnold – you could name them after Schwarzenegger, but, it actually means “eagle power!”
- Axel – father of peace
- Bernard – perfect for the Shepherd in your life, this name means strong and brave
- Bruno – For the courageous dog, this name means shield or armor
- Dedrick – gifted ruler
- Franz – Perfect for the sociable and happy-go-lucky GSD in your life, this name means “free!”
- Klaus – someone who serves his community; ideal for the loyal and loving GSD!
- Leonard – lion-hearted
- Max – “the greatest!” Need we say more?
- Manfred – “strength and peace!”
- Otto – meaning “prosperity”
- Sigmund – victorious defender
- Wilhelm – resolute protector
- Wolfgang – Mozart anyone?
Female German Shepherd Names
Are you the proud owner of a strong and independent female German Shepherd Dog? These names will keep her strong female temperament whilst reflecting her femininity:
- Ada – noble
- Anja – ideal for the quiet and courageous comrade
- Christa – “the chosen one” appropriate for the shelter dog you’ve just rescued?
- Erna – From all of these German Shepherd Names, this name is for a fearless and confident dog
- Edith – A fitting name for any working military dogs, meaning “prosperous in war”
- Frida – peace
- Fritzi – Appropriate in a multi-pet household where your GSD ensures everyone is safe
- Heidi – Do you have a stoic and fearless pup? Heidi means “nobility”
- Trudy – Courageous and bold, this German Shepherd Dog has universal strength!”
- Ute – fortune
- Ursula – little bear
- Wanda – wanderer
- Zelda – blessed and happy
German Shepherd Puppy Names
- Bruiser – yes, we know Bruiser was a Chihuahua in Legally Blonde, but, we still think the name elicits ideas of a bold and fearless warrior!
- Bravo – Bold in Spanish
- Fonse – Bold
- Goliath – a person or thing of enormous size or strength!
- Hercules – in classical mythology, Hercules is famous for his strength and adventures
- Leia – the Star Wars Princess was a 1980’s icon
- Thor – mostly based on the superhero comic books; Thor was known for his superhuman strength, speed and durability
- Zeus – King of the Gods
German Shepherd Boy Names
- Augustus – majestic
- Apollo – The Greek God and one of the twelve Olympians
- Caesar – after Julius Caesar?
- Elroy – a French boy’s name
- Ringo – the meaning of Ringo is actually Apple, but the name became popular after the musician and drummer from The Beatles, Ringo Starr!
German Shepherd Girl Names
- Cleo – short for Cleopatra, the Egyptian Ruler
- Hermoine – the fictional Harry Potter character!
Cute German Shepherd Names
You may even be tempted to name your Shepherd after celebrities who have owned, or still own this magnificent breed, try these cute celebrity inspired German Shepherd Names:
- “Jake” Gyllenhaal
- “Reese” Witherspoon
- “Miley” Cyrus
- “Bella” Thorne or “Taylor” Lautner
- “Shania” Twain
- “Ben” Affleck
- “Bo” Derek
Or you could just name your Comrade after a famous predecessor:
- Horand – named after the first ever GSD!
- Strongheart – one of the first dog film stars
- Chips – the most decorated war dog from WWII!
Black German Shepherd Names
- “Jet” as in a jet-black German Shepherd
- Saffron (more yellow coloring)
- Skippy (peanut butter)
White German Shepherd Names
- Jasmine (Jazz)
- Yuki – Japanese for “snow”
When choosing from these German Shepherd Names, remember, he will have it for the rest of his life.
Keep it simple, choose one that suits his character and demeanor.
Whether you choose a name from his German heritage or even one based on his appearance, be confident that you will be able to shout it across the dog park and that you don’t feel the need to “explain” the reasoning when signing him in at the vets.