“Konichihuahua” and welcome to our list of beautiful and unique Japanese dog names.
Whether you have a dog with strong Japanese heritage or who is of Japanese descent our list of 150 dog names will give you the necessary inspiration to name your dog.
Here we have a list of our favorite, female and male orientated names and even some names specific to Japanese blooded canines.
Our names are all based on specific characteristics, culture and diversity. Oh, and some just sound incredibly awesome and fun… Let’s begin!
Common Japanese Dog Names
These common names are famous due to their popularity, exotic nature and fun pronunciation; these names will provide you with some new inspiration for your puppy.
- Akira – Named after the famous Japanese writer and film director. A true influence in the history of Japanese cinema
- Aoi – Blue. This name is perfect for that blue eyed Husky
- Aya – Art or beauty
- Fuji – A dog name inspired by the famous Japanese city and mountain
- Hana – Flower
- Haru – Spring. Perhaps a name suited for your beautiful yet upbeat canine
- Haruko – Child of spring
- Hiroshi – Generous. The perfect name suiting your generous cuddler and face licker
- Inu – Dog. You cannot get more common than that
- Mao – Cherry blossom. Also famous from the movie “Mao’s last dancer”
- Mika – Named after the Japanese singer and actress. This name is beautiful for your furry little diva
- Rina – Jasmine
- Rio – Village cherry blossom
- Sake – The famous Japanese rice wine
- Shimi – As in Sashimi
- Tokyo – The modern and cool capital of Japan
- Toshi – Wise. This name could just make the perfect name for a Schnauzer
- Yoshi – Meaning lucky. A name perfect for your tiny sweetheart
Female Japanese Dog Names
Our collection of beautiful and unique sounding names for your gorgeous furry lady.
- Aika – Love song. This definitely doesn’t include excessive barking
- Aiko – Child who will be loved
- Aimi – Beautiful love
- Airi – Love jasmine
- Asami – Morning beauty. Is there a more beautiful morning than waking up to your bright eyed fur-end?
- Aya – Angel of magic
- Ayaka – A colorful flower
- Chie – Wisdom
- Chiyo – One thousand generations
- Cho – Butterfly. Beautiful in meaning and very sweet. Tip – If you have a Chihuahua, try “Cho-huahua”
- Emi – Beautiful smile. Slobbery and smelly, there is still nothing more heart-warming than a dog’s smile
- Emiko – Blessed child
- Eri – Prize
- Hikari – Radiant light
- Kana – Powerful one. This little girl will surely have power over your heart, and those treats hidden in your pocket
- Kaori – Fragrance
- Kimi – Noble
- Kimiko – Valuable child. Surely as dog lovers we can agree there is nothing more valuable than our fur babies!
- Kiyomi – Pure beauty
- Mana – Affectionate
- Mayu – True and gentle
- Mika – Named after the Japanese singer and actress. This name is beautiful for your furry little dog
- Mio – Beautiful cherry blossom
- Ren – Love of the lotus. This name is unisex!
- Shinju – Pearl
- Sora – Sky
- Yuri – Lily – very sweet!
- Yuzuki – Tender moon
Male Japanese Dog Names
Now for our collection of male Japanese orientated names for your handsome and strong dog.
- Akihiro – Brightness
- Chibi – Short person or child. A name for the smaller dog breeds such as the Pomchi. Half the size but double the personality
- Dai – Great and large
- Daisuke – Large one. Well suited for the larger dog breeds such as a Mastiff, Shepherd or Great Dane
- Goro – Fifth son
- Haruko – First born child
- Hibiki – Echo, sound. Sounds cute though right?
- Hideo – Man of excellence
- Hoshi – Star. This pup will crave attention and will always be looking to be the centre of attention
- Isao – Merit
- Jun – Obedient
- Junpei – To be pure, innocent and kind
- Kage – Shadow. Perfect for any dark furred canine
- Kaito – Ocean
- Kenta – Big and strong. Perhaps a name suited for an American Alsatian?
- Kin – Golden. Perfect for that wee handsome Golden Retriever
- Koya – Meaning a fast and knowledgeable leader. Perfect for the German Shepherd or Border Collie breed who are both renowned for their intelligence
- Kuma – Bear. A well suited name for those dog breeds which closely resemble teddy bears
- Mareo – Rare one. No pup is the same! Every pup is unique in their ways
- Masao – Saint
- Seto – White – perfect for any white furred pooch
- Shin – Genuinely a name which is perfect for any dog
- Sho – Soaring one
- Shun – Talented and fast learner
- Taro – Eldest son
- Taru – Sea of water
- Kazuo – Man of harmony
- Kouki – Light of hope
- Masa – True
- Tadao – Loyal and faithful man
- Toshio – Hero
- Yori – Trust
Names for Japanese Dogs
Some of the most popular Japanese dogs are the: Shiba Inu, Spitz, Hokkaido, Akita and the big and ferocious yet stunning Tosa Inu.
Shiba Inu Japanese Dog Names
The Shiba Inu is a small dog. But don’t let this fool you, they are full of spunk, attitude and love.
- Akane – Meaning deep red. This name definitely suits this gorgeous breed’s coat color
- Fawkes Kitty – Named after Ariana Grande’s dog
- Kitsune – Meaning fox. The Shiba Inu looks very similar to a fox so this option is perfect!
- Queen of Shiba
- Sass – The Shiba Inu has a lot of attitude compacted into their robust little figure
- Yoshiro – Righteous son
Spitz Japanese Dog Names
The Spitz is another small dog renowned for their beautiful white and fluffy coat. They resemble Samoyeds except they are A LOT tinier.
- Aspen – A ski-resort town in Colorado. Known for having high end guests and its impeccable scenery. Very fitting for a beautiful white colored dog
- Bolt – Disney’s loveable white pup
- Snow – To suit their beautiful white snow vast amounts of fur
- Tuffy – This name suits the Japanese Spitz perfectly as they are famous for their fluffy fur and their sassy somewhat “tuff” temperament
Hokkaido Japanese Dog Names
A very staunch and brave dog breed with lineage dating back thousands of years in Japan.
- Daiki – Meaning great glory. The Hokkaido is one of the oldest Japanese dog breeds and therefore a very glorious breed
- Hunter – A breed known for their hunting skills
- Ken – Healthy and strong
- Manabu – To study or learn. The Hokkaido is a working dog and is therefore easily trained
- Seta – Another name for this breed and very catching
- Tatsuya – Imperial
- Toshi – Wise
Akita Japanese Dog Names
The Akita is a brave and loyal dog. With strong connections to guardianship and loyalty.
- Kazuki – Peace
- Makato – Sincere
- Mamoru – Guardian or protector. The Akita dog fears nothing and will provide great security for their owner
- Nao – Honest
- Okami – Wolf
- Ryuu – Dragon. Dragons are mythical creatures known to protect great treasures
- Samurai – A Japanese warrior
Tosa Inu Japanese Dog Names
- Ali – After the famous Muhhamad Ali
- Isamu – Brave. Famous for Japanese dog fighting and therefore this name is quite fitting
- Katsuro – Victorious son. A solid, powerful yet loyal dog
- Sumo – Sumos are a Japanese wrestler and this dog breed mimics these fights very well
- Yuka – Gentle flower. The Akita is known to be loving and kind to their owners
- Yuuta – Meaning great bravery
The Japanese names are exotic, exquisite and unique in their beauty. Japanese names have a hidden meaning while also rolling off the tongue in that perfect short and sweet manner.
Perhaps you like the sound of them? Carry Japanese in your blood? Or simply have a Japanese bred pooch! This list should help you decide on the perfect name for your canine.
Did we miss any of your favorites? Tell us below… Sayonara!