So, you’ve just bought home your beautiful Pitbull puppy and you want to find the perfect Pitbull name?
Our complete list of over 250 Pitbull names will be sure to suit your pup whatever their gender or personality.
Despite their reputation in the media, these wonderful family dogs are sweethearts and were previously named “Nanny Dogs” for their temperament and loving nature with children.
Whatever your Pitbull’s temperament, appearance, gender or color this popular list will give you the top Pitbull names.
Let’s have a look, did your pups name make the list?
Contents and Quick Navigation
- Female Pitbull Names
- Male Pitbull Names
- Badass Pitbull Names
- Cool Pitbull Names
- Cute Pitbull Names
- Best Pitbull Names
- Five Facts About Pitbulls
Female Pitbull Names
Ladies first! Female Pitbull names in our opinion, should be independent, strong yet precious and beautiful.
Some are named after famous woman throughout history and others just sound too gorgeous to pass up.
Pitbulls aren’t as scary as some of them may look, so why not even try a softer sounding name? We’ve gathered some of our favorites below.
- Adira – This one is Hebrew strong and powerful. Perhaps perfect for your American Staffordshire Terrier?
- Athena – from Greek mythology. Named after the Greek Goddess. Athena was a goddess of wisdom, courage and inspiration. Perfect for your strong and fearless canine
- Betsy – We see this name suiting a bouncy Pitbull Boxer Mix
- Cleopatra – The last active female ruler of Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt. Known for her beautiful looks and getting whatever she wants, maybe like those cuddles you just can’t stop giving?
- Donna – Named after Donna Paulsen from Suits. Definitely a strong female character
- Katniss – Hunger Games
- Khaleesi – Named after the Game of Thrones character. The Queen of Dragons. Perhaps, the Queen of your heart?
- Lara (Lara Croft)
- Latitha – Queen of Sass
- Ruby – perfect for your beautiful red-nosed Pitbull, named after a Ruby – the precious and traditional gem stone
- Xena – The Warrior Pupcess!
Male Pitbull Names
Now for the males, for a male you definitely want Pitbull names which sounds “ruff” and tough.
Like female names, male Pitbull names can also be based on heroic characters and strong, powerful men. Or, they may even be based on villains (if your pup has a naughty side).
Whichever you choose, we hope you like them…
- Ali – After Muhammad Ali, a professional American boxer, nicknamed the Greatest due to his immaculate fighting skills
- Hercules – Named after the Roman hero and god. A bold and confident puppy will suit this name, maybe your American Pitbull Terrier?
- Joe or Joey
- Kane – a name built to suit the more relaxed dog (maybe an older dog) you recently got from the shelter?
- Kobe – Named after Kobe Bryant, a famous American NBA player. If your puppy loves to chase balls then maybe this name is perfect
- Maximus (Max for short)
- Zeus – The King of the Greek Gods. Zeus was the god of the sky and thunder. Let’s hope your puppy is a little more socialized and is used to the thunder
Badass Pitbull Names
These badass Pitbull names will fit the bill.
- Ammo – Short for ammunition. Definitely a badass name for your pup, and something a little different.
- James Bond. You cannot get more badass than that
- Hannibal – Named after Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a cannibal character made famous in a series of novels and movies
- Traz – Short for Alcatraz. Alcatraz is an island which was world famous for their military and federal prisons which housed many of the world’s most notorious criminals
- Vixen – A bad ass name for a bad ass female pup
Cool Pitbull Names
In this section, we have chosen some of our favorite sounding Pitbull names which we believe will definitely suit any Pittie.
- Amir – Amir means powerful in Hebrew. A very exotic twist but very cool sounding no doubt
- Apollo – Named after Apollo 13. A near disaster for NASA
- Baxter – Try Bax for short
- Dolce – As in Dolce and Gabbana. Perfect for your little tough madam
- Ozzy (Osbourne)
- Phoenix – A cool, tough and beautiful name
- Queen Bee – After Beyonce, who has millions and millions of fans so obviously pretty cool
- Richie – Named after Richie McCaw, a world famous New Zealand Rugby Player. Richie McCaw actually rejected knighthood by the Queen herself because he did not think he deserved it
- Sage – Named after Sage the Gemini who literally has a song called “Red Nose” so we think this would only be fitting for a Red Nose Pitbull
Cute Pitbull Names
Pitbulls don’t always have to sound so tough!
Perhaps your Pitbull is hard on the outside but a big softy on the inside? If that’s the case, these cute Pitbull names will be perfect.
Try one of these cute and sweeter sounding names:
- Ava – A short and sweet name which is actually a variation of Eve meaning “bird”.
- Bear – Why? Because bears are cute
- Boe – Perfect for a little male Pitbull puppy who has stolen your heart
- Bree – (Brie) too cheesy?
- Fefe – Say it aloud. You know it’s cute
- Gigi – Named after Gigi Hadid
- Ivory – Perfect for a white Pitbull
- Kiki – Do you love me? Made famous by Drake but this name is very cute nonetheless
- Lily – Named after the flower. A delicate and sweet name is always very cute
- Molly (Mol)
- Nala – Yes, from the lion king. A cute name for your gorgeous wee girl
- Opal – Well suited for a blue nosed Pitty
- Stitch – Named after Disney’s Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. Perfect for a blue nosed Pitbull
- Toto – Named after Toto from the Wizard of Oz. A small dog so obviously very cute but who said Pitbull’s couldn’t be just as cute?
- Yogi – Named after Yogi Bear
Best Pitbull Names
We know that narrowing down names for a Pitbull can be hard!
The best and most popular Pitbull names stick to originality.
This list has inspiration sourced from the most common dog names and are 100% guaranteed to impress due to their popularity.
- Aether – The Greek God of Light, definitely suitable for a wee Pitty who makes your smile shine
- Ares – Named after The Greek God of War
- Atticus – A dominant name for your dominant pup.
- Bud – Dogs are loyal and have been known as Man’s best friend for years!
- Cartel – A little bit of inspiration from the Mafia on this one
- Coleson – Cole for short!
- Hooch – Hooch is one hell of a pooch
- Israel – Izzy for short
- Jess – A beautiful female name which just rolls off the tongue making it perfect for training
- Lucifer – Pitbulls are so loveable but all pups can be a little naughty!
- Mack – A slick name for your gorgeous male canine.
- Rex – A classic name, definitely can’t go wrong here
- Starsky – Starsky and Hutch are the best duo
- Stone – Well-fitting for a Pitbull with beautiful gray fur
- Tank – With their robust and staunch bodies, this name is perfect
- Tobi – Cuter spelling of Toby
Five Facts About Pitbulls
Lastly, for those of you still struggling to find the perfect Pitbull name, as a little treat, we have put together five interesting facts about the Pitbull dog.
This will help to give you an insight into this spectacular and misunderstood dog.
1. The Pitbull Is a Type of Dog (Not a Specific Breed)
The term Pitbull technically covers a range of dog breeds:
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- American Pitbull Terrier
- American Bulldog
- American Staffordshire Terrier
Pitbulls are descendants from Terriers and the Bulldog.
2. They Were Initially Bred To Be Fighting Dogs
Luckily, the use of dogs for fighting has been outlawed.
The Terrier (a breed which is known to fear absolutely nothing) was bred with the English Bulldog (a breed renowned for their impressive strength) to give the Pitbull.
This actually gave the Pitbull a lot of negative stigma which still remains today
3. Pitbull’s Were Known Nanny Dogs
The tables may have turned at some point in history, when the Pitbull was known to be a nanny dog and was used widely as the perfect babysitter for children.
4. They Are Escape Artists
Although they appear a little stocky, they are a highly athletic breed and they are actually amazing fence climbers.
This is definitely an important fact for any soon-to-be Pitbull owners in case they try and escape, you might want to look at strong dog crates.
5. Pitbull’s Do Not Actually Have “Locking Jaws”
Contrary to several claims, there is no physical locking ability in the Pitbull’s jaw.
They do however have really strong jaws, but, not really any stronger than your average puppy.
There you have it. Our favorite Pitbull names to suit your misunderstood yet beautiful companion.
Notorious for being a bully breed, we know this isn’t true and these Pitbull names are here to either set the record straight or simply just emphasis their personality.
Did you choose a female or male name?
Was it cool, badass or just plain cute? Let us know below! We would love to hear your favorite